Avv. Emilio Squillante
Emilio Squillante is a lawyer who comes from the South of Italy. He was born in 1958 in a town that is situated halfway between Naples and Salerno: Nocera Inferiore. This is a town of ancient traditions and where nearly everybody knows one another.
He lives in Naples. His appointment as General Secretary of the Port Authority has come at the end of a long career which began in 1983 when he was appointed Vessel Lieutenant in the Harbour Master’s Office.
Emilio Squillante studied at the Classical studies Lyceum, Gian Battista Vico in Nocera Inferiore. His parents were dedicated to their children’s education, and despite the difficulties and sacrifices that were typical of parents in that period, encouraged him to study law, in which he obtained a Law Degree and the ability to exercise as a lawyer in the Naples Court of Appeal.
During his career, he has completed a Masters in Maritime Economics and Techniques at the University “La Sapienza” in Rome, concentrating, in particular, on the following subjects:
- Principles of Maritime and Port economics;
- Legal, territorial and economic aspects of the ports;
- European Community funding in the transport sector;
- Funding and planning of public works in the transport sector ; Politics of transport and the environment;
- Organisation of the port system in Italy;
- Maritime transport of goods.
In following, he obtained a Masters in Management at the National Transport School in La Spezia, with particular reference to:
- Change management in the logistics and transport sectors;
- Staff Management;
- Analysis of marketing and business budgets.
In the meantime, he has also kept his professional interests up to date and widened his knowledge by specializing in the Management of Safety at Work.
He has received innumerous qualifications over the years: from the participation in a secondment at the Port of Miami in order to gain further knowledge in the cruise and passenger sector; the participation in the International Visitor Leadership Program set up by the American State Department;. in the seminar “The experience of the Port of Miami in the implementation of the ISPS Safety protocol” and “The experience of the Port of Miami in the cruise and passenger sector”; along with “New Maritime lines to support integrated cooperation between Naples and Miami”; ending with a course on “Crime prevention security and Security Tenders”.
His career began in Castellammare di Stabia, where from 1984 to 1991 he held the role of head of the Government property department in the Harbour Master’s Offices.
He was the Commander in the Port at Torre Annunziata for a year in 1991.
From 1992 to 2000 he was Head of the Government Property department in the Harbour master’s Offices in the Port of Naples (and was in charge of the coastline from Pietrarsa to Formia, including the local islands);
He then went on to be appointed as Commander of the Port of Torre del Greco in the period 2000/2001, from September to March.
He drew up a contract for a partnership with the Naval University Institute in Naples and with Naples local government concerning census management of maritime goods that are government property;
For several years, he worked on the drawing up of the journal “Review of Administrative Law” Ediz. Maggioli;
Over the years, he has gained impressive experience in the management of berths and tourist ports;
His professional break came in 2001, the year he was appointed as Manager of the Institutional Area in the Port Authority of Naples. He managed 30 people – undertaking all tasks deriving from the requirements relating to Law 28 January 1994. N.84, and in particular:
- In charge of Health and Safety of the Port Authority of Naples workers, in conformity with D.Lgs 626/1994;
- Organisation of port activities in order to apply the laws that are currently in force, with particular reference to the rules concerning the functions of the organisation and overall asset of the Port of Naples and the related government property areas that are assigned to industrial production, trade and shipyard activities;
- Organisation, administration and management of the circulation and vehicle parking in the port of Naples;
- Administration, management and security of government owned areas and goods included in the ambit of the territorial circumscription of the Port Authority of Naples, by promoting the exercise of the functions that are provided for in articles, 36 and 55 and 68 of the Shipping Code and in the related actuating laws, including the maintenance of institutional relationships with the Port Committee that was instituted in conformity with the law n. 84/1994;
- In charge of the inquiry set up for the issuing of concessions for the use of the areas and quays that are included in the port’s ambit, in conformity, and for the effects of, law n. 84/1994;
- Work safety in the port’s ambit with application and maintenance of the norms provided for by D.Lgs 272/1999 and successive modifications to protect the health and safety of port workers;
- Administration and management of c.d. operations and port services, with particular reference to the discipline and issuing of authorising and/or concessionary acts as well as the provisions made by law in favour of the businesses in the sector;
- Port work and industrial relations with activation of the procedures for the control and the discipline of the supply of temporary workers in the port, meant in particular, to guarantee the continuity of the working relationship in favour of the partners and employees of the related port businesses in application of art. 17 of the law n. 84/1994;
- Co-ordination and control of the Maritime Station in the Port of Naples, with particular reference to the procedures for the issuing of a multi-year concession aimed at the creation and management of the cruise terminal in the Port of Naples;
- Institutional relationship with other public administrations, favouring the exercise of the functions of co-ordination of all of the State, Regional and local administrations whose activities affect the exercise of port activities in conformity with art. 10, comma 4, letter d) of the law n. 84/1994;
- Official of the multi-year concessionary acts and/or conventions provided for by the law n. 241/1990 and s.m.i., stipulated by the Port Authority of Naples;
Since 2004 he has been the official compiler, on behalf of the Port Authority of Naples, of security evaluations, and the Port Facility Security Assessment of the port’s installations, in conformity with the regulations in the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (I.S.P.S. code);
In 2005, he was tutor on behalf of the Port Authority of Naples on the training course entitled: “Conductor and mover of raising equipment” relating to safety and security in the ports;
In 2005: he was member, on a delegation of the Port Authority of Naples, of the Regional Adjudicating Commission for the tender of maritime services in the Gulf of Naples, entitled “Metrò del Mare”;
In 2005, with a commission from the local government in Vico Equense, he drew up an opinion pro veritate on the application of differentiated charges for the maritime transport of residents along with the access to available bathing areas as provided for in the relevant public tender for their designation;
In 2006: he was part of the adjudicating Commission, as an expert in maritime government property and coastline management, for the project relating to the public tender that was issued by the local government in Pozzuoli for the tendering out of the management of the bathing areas for free public access;
In 2006: he participated, in the ambit of the P.P.T.I.E. (Programma di Partenariato Territoriale con gli Italiani all’Estero), – (Territorial Programme with Italians abroad) A pilot project for the integrated co-operation between the ports of Miami and Naples and their respective geographic areas -:
1° Seminar “The experience of the Port of Miami in implementing the ISPS security protocol”;
2° Secondment, in the port of Miami, “The cruise sector and passenger welcome”;
2° Seminar “ The experience of the port of Miami in the cruise and passenger welcome sectors”;
3° SSeminar “ New maritime lines to support integrated co-operation between Naples.
In 2006: he participated in the International Visitor Leadership Program which was organised by the American State Department in Washington D.C and held in the United States. The purpose was to gain knowledge into the American political/economic system and the Government structures for infrastructure, transport, logistics and marketing, in which he has developed experience in the following subjects:
- Infrastructures for port operations in the USA with particular reference to terminal containers;
- Intermodal transport systems;
- Port security and Federal Government security measures;
- The system of co-operation between public and private sectors in the ports;
- Analysis, controls/visits and meetings with the local authorities concerning the development of the waterfront of the major American ports: New York, Baltimore, S. Francisco etc..;
- Maritime container transport systems;
- Analysis of the port system in the USA with particular reference to management differences with visits and secondments in the major American ports ( New York, Baltimore, S. Francisco, Oakland, Savannah and Charleston);
- Analysis of the river transport system in the USA, participating in a secondment in the State of Oklahoma;
In 2007 he was nominated a member of the Operational Technical-Legal Department in support of the Structural Commission which was set up by an order of the President to face the state of emergency in the traffic and mobility sectors over the territory of Naples;
In 2008 he was a member, as an expert in maritime government property and coastline management, on the adjudicating commission for the projects relating to the Public tender that was issued by the local government in Pozzuoli for the contracting out of the waterways that were to be assigned as berthing posts for pleasure boating;
In 2008 he participated in the course “Crime prevention security and Tenders in the Security sector” which was organised by the National Training Institute in Rome in the ambit of a highly skilled training programme on Privacy and Security;
In 2008 he was a Board member of Terminal Napoli, a quoted company that has the following partners: – Royal Carribean Cruise Line, MSC Crociere, Marinvest, Napoli Terminal Trade and the Port Authority of Naples -,that manages the cruise terminal in the Port of Naples.
In 2012 he partecipated at Malta summit about Security on the Mediterranean Sea, where his work has been appreciated by the entire audience.
Emilio Squillante also has a good level of the English and Spanish languages.